Monday, December 29, 2008

It's What's for Dinner - Zuppa Toscana


Last night I made my first dinner for guests in my Richmond apt. Yes, it's been nearly 6 months since I moved here. Don't rub it in.

I thought soup, salad and bread with gingerbread cake for dessert sounded ideal for the winter weather. I didn't account for an unexpected 68 degrees... BUT the food was sure yummy.

If you like Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, you MUST make this at your earliest convenience. If you haven't tried it, you MUST still make this at your earliest convenience.

(adapted from recipe found at: http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html. I used more sausage, potatoes and boullion and left out the bacon and garlic puree (opted for whole cloves chopped up)


Makes: 6-8 servings


INGREDIENTS


2 lbs. Ground Italian Sausage (I used the large link kind and cut them out of their casing)
1½ tsp crushed red peppers (I used the hot sausage and left out the peppers - tasted the same)
1 large diced white onion
4 cloves garlic, diced
12 cups water
7 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream
2 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 4 large potatoes
¼ of a bunch of kale


Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.

In the same pan, saute onions and garlic for approxiamtly 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.

Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions and garlic. Cook until boiling.

Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

Add heavy cream and cook until thoughouly heated.

Stir in the sausage.

Add kale just before serving. Delicious!

3 comments:

Mamma Meg said...

I'm gonna try it! We love that soup.

Globe Trecker said...

Sounds amazing, we're definitely going to try this one!

Merianne said...

I can't wait to try this! This is the soup I always get at the Olive Garden. Glad you posted the recipe!