Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year - ON PURPOSE

There seemed to be so many increments of time when I was younger. I miss them. Semesters, Basketball vs. Football cheer seasons, summer break, Nutcracker vs. regular recital dance seasons, school years, pizza-earning book seasons, short distances between visits with grandparents, yes.... even the progression from horrid tryouts to the American Idol finales.

Lately I feel like I measure time only in campaign cycles. It's unhealthy, I tell you. But, I can't help but feel like January 1 is still a chance to "CRTL ALT DEL" if you will. Reboot. Refresh. I'm grateful for the reminder to ponder and reconsider.

I liked 2008. A lot, in fact. But, it will go down in the annals of my life as a rather haphazard year. It began in Des Moines and then moved on to Las Vegas, Palm Beach, Minneapolis, Lynchburg and Richmond. It was a "fly by the seat of my pants" year. I spent much more time in drive through windows and lost too much time watching the red light of my blackberry blink in the middle of the night. I put way too many miles on my car (and never have time to empty the junk in it). I grew more out of contact with good friends.

So, this year's resolution, for me, was an easy one. I've phrased it a few different ways.

Living On Purpose
Living With Purpose
Living Deliberately

I'm trying to prepare more. I'm moving away from "merely surviving". Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Melonius said...

Hey, cool! That's mine too: Live Deliberately.

M said...

Way to go Melissa! I love the CTL ALT DEL metaphore--very appropriate. Living on purpose, with purpose, and deliberately is an excellent mantra for 2009.

Mamma Meg said...

No way! Mine is sleep more...on purpose! Same thing right?

Really, what a good idea, especially after the year you've had. I hope 2009 is great for you!