Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Measure of a Man

It's so hard to say goodbye. It's even harder to think it. The hardest thing yet is to have left thoughts unspoken.

Grandpa, I'm sure I said the following many times over the years; Thank you, I love you, What do you think about _____?, Thanks for your thoughts on _____.

I'm not certain I ever said, though; "You have been one of the deepest influences of my life. I have never taken for granted your genuine interest in my hobbies, activities, friends, interests, jobs and accomplishments. I have always admired your appreciation for the workings of the human body and the outdoors. I will always remember your bikes, our camping trips, your wedding day, Christmas and Easter Visits, sitting in the audience at my ballet recitals and your revering my father as a Marine. Thanks for the history tidbits about El Paso, Gila trails, throwing records off of skyscrapers, Naval travels, best friends in uniform, ancestry and Billy the Kid. I have learned SO much.

But, stronger than the individual memories, I remember feeling that you loved me. From the very beginning. From my earliest memories. You always made me feel loved. It shaped me. It gave me strength and confidence. Having you in my life made me a better person, by leaps and bounds. My biggest regret at this juncture, is that my children won't know you in this life.

God be with you till we meet again, Grandpa. I love and miss you so very much."

P.S. I know you didn't tell anyone, but it was HRC's post as Sec. of State that was the last straw for you, wasn't it?

5 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa's passing. I know he was so influential in your life. He seemed like a very neat man! You're in our prayers.

hillari said...

What a wonderful tribute to such an important man to you. I love your words. Thank you for sharing.

M said...

Melissa, Thank you for sharing this moving and very personal tribute to your grandpa. I'm so sorry to hear of his death. I'm sure you will be a great comfort to your family during this time, and I hope you will feel peace and comfort as well, even through your grief. My heart goes out to you. You are in my prayers.

Marni

shawn & megan said...

Melissa, It sounds like your grandpa was the kind of person I hope to be. It's good to now that there are people like him in Heaven waiting for us.

Dunstan Family said...

I am so sorry. You write beautifully about your Grandpa.