Monday, January 5, 2009

NOT Twitterpated


I don't get Twitter. I mean... I "get" Twitter. I do not get the appeal, though.

This might seem a contradictory statement, since I do blog, and blogging has a few similarities to Twitter. 1. It can be used to update others on your life and 2. It's a way of updating many people at one time.

However, my limited exposure to Twitter is disturbing to me. I've already been perplexed by the people who update their Facebook status several times a day. But, Twitter takes it to a whole new level. The following example is not a big exaggeration of a thread:
_____
6:29am - Good morning world!
6:35am - Hot water a' runnin'. Shower, here I come!
6:38am - Hard to shower and twit, but I'm doing it! P.S. Note to self - buy more shampoo.
7:04am - Dressed. So glad this new skirt fits!
7:06am - Brushing teeth.
7:09am - LISTERINE TIME!!!!!
7:15am - Planning opening statements for 11am meeting while blowdrying hair.
7:21am - Grabbing bags and heading out the door! (and twittering!!)
7:30am - Can't believe the traffic.
7:32am - Still haven't gotten past exit 67!
7:35am - Made it to exit 66!
7:40am - Turning onto rte 537
7:41am - Pier 1 Sale! Must go after work!
7:42am - Only 3 more stoplights to go!
7:43am - DOH! Forgot to pack gym clothes!
7:44am - 2 more lights!
7:45am - Finishing mascara in the rearview mirror (and twittering! such a great multi-tasker!)
7:48am - Pulling into garage
7:48.27 - Scanning badge
7:48.35 - The security arm lifts. Hooray!
7:48.53 - Lookin' for a spot.
7:49 - Found one!
7:53 - Twittering while walking to the elevator.
7:55 - In the elevator
7:56 - Doors opening! I'm at work!
_____
You get my intention. I mean... does anyone really want to know that much about a person's day? It certainly takes the fun and mystery out of stalking I'm sure. It almost seems that more of life is spent on texting about it instead of living it. Agreed?


5 comments:

Emily said...

I agree, I don't get it and I don't think I really want to try to understand it.

mle said...

I must admit, I tried to get on the Twitter bandwagon. It seemed like a nice option for a quick update on what's going on instead of the time-consuming pressure of coming up with an entire blog post. But I'm not quite sure I'm sold on it yet.. Still experimenting (although I don't care to update it every minute! Definitely excessive. Maybe every few days or so)

Mamma Meg said...

Wow, that was a bit annoying. I know nothing about Twitter, and now I am pretty sure that I don't want to.

M said...

Agree, it's a big time-waster for the most part. Maybe if we filled our days with face-to-face or even voice-to-voice interaction, we wouldn't need to interact so much with the virtual world.

Globe Trecker said...

Completely agree. Kind of mindless and really, who cares? I do like seeing people's Facebook status updates though. Just not several times a day.