Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Healthy Balance Between Fear and Adventure

This week, I had occassion to travel to a part of Virginia I had not yet been, the Eastern Shore. If you are unfamilar with that region, it is the yellow portion at the bottom of Maryland in the map below. It doesn't physically touch any of the rest of the state. From Richmond, the two choices to get there are to travel north to DC and then all the way down Maryland, or head south to VA Beach and drive over the ocean.


Lest you think I was kidding, you really can drive over the ocean, and I did. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel spans the 17.6 miles (shore to shore) between VA Beach and the Eastern Shore. (picture taken of the map at the first rest stop on the bridge)



If you know me well, you know my biggest fear is being in large bodies of water. I love the beach. I love lakes. I don't so much love being IN them. I can push fear aside enough to enjoy water skiing in a lake, but I'm pretty sure it was a panic attack I had when my boyfriend at the time and I tipped our kayak over 1/2 mile from shore off the coast of Hilton Head, SC. The expansiveness, depth and predators of the ocean terrify me.


Here is my GPS along the bridge drive. Perhaps blue is a color you don't see frequently on yours. This was certainly the first time it was the ONLY color on mine. Nuttin' but water as far as the eye can see....



If you click on this one, you might be able to see the ships.
They were very large ships; cargo, I'm guessing.

Another view out the window.


You can actually grab a bite to eat in the middle of this bridge. I wasn't hungry enough to stay and be seated at the restaurant on the bridge, but I did get a celebratory Diet Dr. Pepper. The locals at the Eastern Shore sang the praises of the fried fish sandwhich at this place.
I'll have to go back. A fun date idea, eh?
_______
All in all, a very cool experience. I opened my sunroof and windows and soaked in the salty air as best I could. I kept my mind off of the fact that the bridge was completed in 1965 and the pillars surely would have done much settling and shifting over the past 43 years (until now, obviously). The trip back was a little more dicey. It was dark, very windy and rainy. Luckily I had Angela on the phone to keep my mind occupied (thanks again, Ang!). If you're ever in VA, I'd put this on your list of things to do.

4 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

Until spending that night talking to you on the phone while you crossed the bridge, I actually never knew that you were uncomfortable in large bodies of water! It was fun chatting with you as you crossed the ocean. It did seem like a formidable task, though, with the bad weather and all.

Melonius said...

Good for you. It sounds like we share a phobia. Bridges always make me nervous, and especially ones that go over any kind of water. I always have to keep my eyes straight ahead and concentrate on breathing. I probably would have gone the long way around!

Mamma Meg said...

Wow! What a brave girl. Reminded me a little of a scene from The Truman Show. I also had no idea you were afraid of large bodies of water. Personally, tunnels scare me worse...something about an entire mountain smashing me to death I suppose.

hillari said...

wow--that sounds really cool. I just found your blog--I love it! I have one too. Nice to hear what you've been up to.