Saturday, July 19, 2008

Spoiling Myself Rotten

So... there are still two rubbermaid bins of clothes to unpack and shoes to reshelf (after the cat has graciously batted them all down from their assigned spots) - So what did I spend the afternoon doing....?

EXPLORING MY NEW CITY!!!

There are many places I look forward to knowing and loving in Richmond. I even bought a new notepad for the purpose of keeping track of them. Today I started out with two. I couldn't be happier with my neighborhood and I can't get over how lucky I am to have so many of the sights within walking distance. Somehow, even with soaring temperatures and high humidity, it seemed a crime to stay in.

Stop #1 - Virginia Center for Architecture (excuse the poor lighting that made this shot not nearly worthy of the building)

The exhibit portions of this location are minimal, but there is still something about good design and architecture that lifts my spirits. Standing in front or inside a Temple, being in ancient Rome, sitting on the marble of monuments in DC - those things speak to my soul.

This former home was designed by John Russel Pope, who also designed the National Gallery of Art (west gallery, obviously), National Archives and the Lincoln Memorial. Most of the interior is marked "staff only", but it was nice to just be inside and take in the dining room and learn about the building and design of the structure. I look forward to further exhibitions here.

Stop #2 - Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (currently under construction, so I spared you from a photo)

Currently full of Degas', Monets, historic silver, the largest collection of Fabrege outside of Russia and a host of other treasures, this was a great way to spend a couple hours. It's undergoing a major expansion, so I look forward to returning here also. It didn't have similar spaces to my favorite fountains and the Italian galleries at the National Gallery, but it is beautiful and boasts an impressive collection.

Also, I learned a lot in the Fabrege exhibit. I didn't realize that the delicate eggs were originally designed as Easter gifts and contained the words "Christ is Risen" inside (not in English, of course). It made me want to add a Fabrege egg pendant onto my Christmas list for this year.

Another treat of both of these locations is that they are FREE. Between the two locations, I probably ran into 25 other people. Where was everyone?! Missing OUT, I tell you.

While I didn't take a picture of the art museum, I did snap this one of the Confederate Memorial Chapel directly across from it. It was built after the Civil War, so it's not the history that's fascinating, but the stained glass (for me, anyway). I peeked inside briefly, and since it was after their posted hours, decided to go back another day to fully appreciate the interior.


Stop #3 - Sushi on the way home. California rolls with brown rice. Could this day have been any better?

1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

Richmond sounds so neat--I am so happy that you live there and in such a classy neighborhood. Keep on exploring and posting your adventures!