Friday, July 25, 2008

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

I went in for a haircut this week. I thought I would try to find a new salon and stylist here in Richmond. I dreamed of finding someone akin to "Angelo" my heaven-sent hair guy in the DC area that I became fiercely loyal to. I wanted to write a quick blog quip about my new "do" and be happy.

Instead...

I have learned, once again, that high expectations only lead to disappointment. I have been reminded of my previous theory that when a stylist hears, "I'm growing it out. Keep the length. It just needs a little shape" it sets off some predetermined program that translates to, "I want Jennifer Aniston's haircut from 1995".


I love Jennifer Aniston, and there are a host of other styles of her's that I would be proud to showcase on my very own head. However, this was not one of them.

I hate long layers. This is the third time in 2 years that I have gotten a cut I don't like. (I did get one I REALLY loved in Des Moines - probably won't be back at that salon anytime soon, though). I'm beginning to feel like my lot in life is to wear ponytails and grow out bad cuts.

The two most frustrating things - 1. I never see it coming. By the time I see the layers coming on, it's too late to stop it. 2. I am too dang nice. I can't find it within me to say, "I hate it, and I hate that there is no way to fix it. I will spend four months trying to get back to where I was when I walked in this door." I even still tip well. What the heck is my problem?

Do you have a bad hair story to share? Are you a stylist that will offer to help me learn your lingo so I can avoid this?

1 comment:

Slinky said...

Oh, Melissa, I feel your pain. My mom just had her hair hacked off and even though she showed the stylist a picture, the woman still seemed to do what she wanted with my mom's hair. Why do they feel the urge to do something different when you are specific? Here are some ideas I've tried: 1) bring a picture; 2) when talking length, show with your hands. never say "I want three inches off" instead, actually take your hand and chop it right where you want it cut--keep your hand there until it's been long enough for the stylist to "get it"; 3) don't be afraid to politely speak up if you feel the cut is going awry.

Someone asked the same question you did here:
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061111062345AAd7rqB