Sunday, November 30, 2008

New Meaning for "Thanksgiving"

(Marilyn looking out of the window on our return home today. She and Teddy have been boarding at "Grandma and Grandpa's" (my parents) for a few weeks while I've been out so much)


Wow. What a span of two weeks. I mean... wow. I have had many many thoughts and plans over the last bit. I'm wondering if the uncanny (diabolical?) string of occurrences in my life in the last few weeks have helped spur them. I'll post on those thoughts and plans after going private. BUT - before I do, here's what I mean by a new meaning for "Thanksgiving".

I have been very grumpy for roughly 3 days (see causes later). Tonight, I had three full hours to do laundry, dishes, vacuum and clean the bathroom. I feel SO much better. Not whole yet, but less grumpy. And, that is forward progression. This was the first time in three weeks I've been able to do any of the above household maintenance regulars. I realize how much the total chaos and traveling has taken its toll on normality in my life. I've never been so grateful for these three hours tonight. Truly.


It would take too long to write the full story on all of these patience-trying experiences of the last couple weeks. I'm just going to give you the bulleted highlights. If you see me soon, I'm sure the complete versions will have you in laughing fits (I'm hoping they do the same to me in the future)


My Dumb Luck of November
  • Getting pulled over for speeding 2 miles from home, after driving 5 hours. Finding out from officer that licence had been suspended for failure to resubmit my proof of safety inspection.
  • Spend $147 on fine to the City of Richmond for the stupid $15 inspection paper (which I had gotten back in Sept.) and another $85 to the State of Virginia to get my license back.
  • Get rear ended by hit-and-run guy. He tells me (after tailing him for 8 miles while on the phone with the police) that he wasn't sure if I rolled backward or if he rolled forward. Geesh.
  • Having $7 to my name during my trip out west because of my bank's inconsistency with deposit times. Never assume just because you make a deposit on Friday and your receipt says it will be available on Monday that they are telling the truth.
  • Missing my first flight out west (because I tried to squeeze a nap in between 2-4am) and making the 2nd by miracle after being trapped in my own neighborhood by the Richmond Marathon. (I arrived at the gate 17 minutes before departure - still need to write thank you note to counter agents),

There are a lot more such happenings. As a cockeyed optimist, I'm hoping all this is just preparing me to be an excellent candidate for The Amazing Race. I'm pretty resourceful!

3 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

Oh! I hope December is better for you (and it will be!) I'm sure you're going to laugh at these crazy strokes of bad luck one day. And I do think you would be great on the Amazing Race. You can laugh at yourself (very important) and are a woman version of McGyver. Go MB!

Mamma Meg said...

I am so sorry for all your sorrows and stress. Maybe you just got it all over with in one month...hopefully.

As a side note, your cats make me want cats and I don't want cats. They look pretty fun.

Go private, so I can hear more of your thoughts.

Shelly said...

hahahaha! I can't wait to hear the full stories.