Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rarely Seen

I've always been a fan of nooks and crannies (aside - For this reason alone, I love Thomas English Muffin's new marketing campaign). I think this affinity stems from watching Goonies thousands of times and it being my favorite movie for the last 26 years. Who wouldn't love exploring caves and finding cool natural water slides and pirate treasure?!?!

Anyway, this love of things out-of-the-way and rarely seen led to find this odd sight tucked away behind the Tredegar Civil War museum.
At first glance, I thought the tree was holding the old train track up. I knew I had to take a closer look. After walking around the outbuildings on the hill, I came to the back and this was the view:

So, the track wasn't totally embedded into the tree, but they are clearly inseparable now. I often wonder what old trees have seen during their lifetime. While this one apparently wasn't here when these tracks carried all the ironworks for the Confederacy from the factory on site to the rest of the South or the burning of the city upon evacuation, I'm sure it's seen much.

(One last footnote: The oxidized Copper roof topper in the background was designed by Latrobe and used to sit on top of the prison just up the hill from this location.)

3 comments:

Mamma Meg said...

What a neat tree! It really does make it seem more 'alive' with that there. On another note, I just made my kids watch Goonies...well I tried. Kal was so shocked at the broken statue part and left for 10 minutes and Blake was annoyed when I kept making loud honking noises to cover up the cussing. Then they both got too scared when they heard Sloth and I had to turn it off. Leave it to my kids to ruin the best movie ever! Maybe in a few years,when the world has jaded them some, they will appreciate it. One can only hope.

MBusse said...

Do you remember the night we tried to get through the whole movie word-for-word between the two of us?

Globe Trecker said...

How cool!

p.s. we'll have to watch Goonies when you come to visit!