Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Creative Outlet

We're 9 days away from the state convention, and I definitely don't have oodles of time to twiddle my thumbs. But, there's something about a newborn niece that makes me want to do nothing but quilt and scrapbook all day long. *Please note, I do not actually do those things. I just want to. *


I did manage to squeeze in two things over the weekend, though.


1. Completing Kaelyn's crocheted blanket. I'm not sure how many of these I've completed in the last 10 years (maybe 12 or so?), but this was one of the most fun, because I only allowed the best of influences while I was working on it. I wanted lots of love and happy thoughts to be packed into it. The following were the background for crocheting it: Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Chronicles of Narnia and General Conference.



2. Monogram letters for the nursery. (instructions below if you're interested)


Step 1 - Take frames of your choice and remove the glass. I used 8x10's for this project.
Step 2 - (Please note, all affixing for my own project was done with hig- heat hot glue, which made it super fast. You could use any other way you see fit, though). Glue rolled quilting batting to the back of the picture frames - Picture below.

Step 2 - Take your fabric and cut it so you have about 3/4 of an inch or so on each side beyond the frame back. Fold over and pull snugly, glue down.

Step 3 - Put your backing back into the frame (rear picture followed by frontal picture below).




Step 4 - Affix your letters. I used precut and painted letters (for speed sake). At this point, you could use them as table or shelf top decorations utilizing the frames leaning device like below.



Step 5 - Attach ribbon, lace, etc. to back for tying and hanging. I used ribbons in shades found in the fabrics I used and braided them along with a thicker lace. You could do something simpler if you wanted. Voila!

3 comments:

Mamma Meg said...

These are BEAUTIFUL! Wow, thanks for the instructions. As soon as I saw them I decided to ask you how...so thanks for saving me a step! What a great gift. Oh, and your blanket is sooo lovely!

Globe Trecker said...

Both are beautiful! I love your choice of colors. If I lived closer, I'd fly out and have you teach me how to do that blanket! Excellent choice of colors.

David & Vanessa said...

Wow...you are so crafty! I need some of this. I love that blanket...beautiful. I wish I was crafty like you!