Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day - Not just for Greeting Cards

Let me get one pet peeve off my chest before addressing Father's Day specifically. I've grown increasingly less patient when someone.. anyone... makes a comment that a holiday (take your pick, they say it about ALL of them) is only made up by the greeting card companies as a marketing ploy.

You know, I can honestly say, I haven't had a GREAT romantic Valentine's Day since 1995. In more serious dating relationships since that point, things always manage to be rocky around mid-February (probably a good indicator it wasn't going to last). But, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a day once a year that friends and family let each other know they love them. I'm not bitter. I don't call it "Single's Awareness Day", and I don't dress in black. Isn't love something to be celebrated? Who says you have to purchase a card to do it?

Therefore, I am a defender of holidays. I like Mother's Day. I like Father's Day. I rarely celebrate such occassions with consumerism, but I do take the chance to make someone feel special. What's wrong with that?

(Stepping back down off of Soapbox Now)

We are celebrating a little early today by going to a matinee of Indiana Jones and then eating buffalo wings. It's great to do some things that Dad loves, and I guess it just goes to prove the point that I'm my Father's daughter because I feel like it's just as much of a treat for me.

To read my talk on Father's Day at church last year - click here.

1 comment:

James & Kristen said...

I remember that your talk was WONDERFUL last year!!! You are seriously awesome.