Friday, April 18, 2008

Hanging Shads

That's right. I said Shads instead of chads.


Keeping in my theme lately of sights of VA during my travels, I thought I'd bring you this little gem of Virginia history and political culture.

Wednesday was the annual Shad Planking in Wakefield. In case you don't know what a shad is (as I didn't before this week), it is a fish. In fact it's a fish commonly caught to use as bait. However, centuries ago, it was a staple of Native American diet in the area. Planking refers to the cooking method (also keeping in the Native American tradition). The fish are filleted down the middle and tacked to boards. The boards are set upright surrounding a line of fire, to smoke them over a period of a few hours. (See picture below).



In modern VA, however, the Shad Planking is an annual fundraiser for the Wakefield Ruritan and one of the largest political events of the year. Sign wars are integral. Speeches are given in a "roast" style (although, in my opinion, not nearly as entertaining as a roast). Shads are eaten. Beer is guzzled. Handshakes and deals are given and made. The big players all attend. This year's speakers were Mark Warner, Jim Gilmore and Bob Marshall. John Hager, the current chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia and soon to be father-in-law to Jenna Bush, did the introductions.

I went to set up signs for the Lt. Governor and help with his food and beverage tents. It was a long but fun day. I left at 5:45am to get there at the appointed time and got home again at 9:00pm. I had just enough time to brush my teeth and turn on the news before falling asleep.

No comments: