Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How Rude!

I hate to make another departure from my usual attempt to find things "virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy" to post about. This one will instead consist of two instances in the last 2 days that were bizarre to me. Rude, if you will.


1. The siren of perfect fall weather called my name on Sunday afternoon. I spent a good two hours walking and taking in the sights of fiery red and golden yellow leaves and the smells of fireplaces and damp earth. I went through my neighborhood and to a nearby park. Many other locals were at the park, getting the most out of the day. I saw numerous families, couples, joggers, walkers, dog-walkers and strollers.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I share sidewalks like I do the road. I stay to the right. I've never really made a conscious decision to do this, it's just natural, I suppose. Well.. about 1/2 way through my walk a man and his dog were coming toward me as we were rounding a side of the pond. I was staying in the same location, hugging the right side of the sidewalk. He, on the other hand, began dodging from side to side the closer he got to me. He started to huff and grumble.

When he got about 10 feet in front of me, he yells, "Hey! Get on the OTHER side! I have to be between you and the DOG!". I was so perplexed that he was yelling at me that I didn't move. I've been a dog lover my whole life. Even big or agressive breeds don't generally make me nervous. This man's spaniel certainly wasn't agitated. The owner, oddly enough, held tightly to the leash and gritted his teeth at me. After passing, I looked over my shoulder in time to lock eyes with the guy one more time. He was still visibly upset with me.

I didn't say it out loud, but I was thinking, "What just happened? Ummm... buddy, you had the ability to put your dog on the other side." I'm all about walking your dog. I get it. But, when did dogs start getting the right of way?

2. (Please don't judge me for a fast food run in the midst of my "get in shape" efforts). Last night, between leaving the office and arriving at the evening event I was attending, I drove through the Arby's window. I needed something small. When it was my turn to order, the conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, can I please have an Arby Melt (from the 5 for $6.95 menu)?
Voice: Do you have a coupon?
Me: No.
Voice: Ok, so you want a Beef and Cheddar. ($4.40 comes up on the screen)
Me: No, I'd like a Melt. (knowing they are smaller (and cheaper))
Voice: You can't get just a melt without a coupon.
Me: So, I can get 5 items for $6.95, but I can't order just one item?
Voice: Right.
Me: Ok... (puzzled).... Can I please have just a Jr. Roast Beef then?
Voice: One Regular Roast Beef Sandwich.
Me: No, a Jr.
Voice: Ok. One Kids Meal.
Me: No, just a Jr. Roast Beef Sandwich.
Voice: You can't get the sandwich without the kids meal.
Me: Ok, nevermind, I'll go somewhere else. Have a good night.

I mean... they WANT people to buy things there, right?

4 comments:

shawn & megan said...

That is nuts- both of those stories. You poor girl!

Mamma Meg said...

By the way...that was Megan, not Shawn. But I am sure he feels bad for you too!

MBusse said...

That is funny. I wondered how Shawn was so quick to notice my new post!

Globe Trecker said...

Can't we all just get along? These are such simple things that could have easily been avoided with a simple smile and willingness to be flexible.