Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Health Science Major makes Healthy Attempts

Ok, so I already mentioned by abandonment of Diet Dr. Pepper and carbonation in general. I've also picked up a few other good habits of late. Specifically, avoiding the following:

  1. High Fructose Corn Syrup - I remember a guest at Elizabeth's bridal shower mentioning she didn't want the leftover jam from crepes because she tries not to feed her little girl any high fructose corn syrup. Hmm... That must have gotten me thinking. It's amazing, once you start looking, at how many items have it in there. I had to change the salsa I usually buy, along with yogurt, bread, some beverages (Vitamin Waters have it in them) and ketchup. I have a visual reminder of that commercial with a school play and the kids are dressed like food additives. I think of the drippy chemically altered child standing on the stage. It's motivating.

  2. Partially Hydrogenized Anything - The source of most transfats. I haven't had to make many changes for this one. But, instead of the visual reminder while shopping, I have a little voice in my head that sounds like Heidi Klum on an episode of Project Runway. As I scan down the list of ingredients, I hear, "you are OUT" or conversely, "you are IN".

  3. Biting my nails - I've had acrylics for several years to combat my bad habit of biting my nails. It was the only way i could keep presentable hands. During the last 2 months on the campaign trail, there was no time to get them filled. I just couldn't justify leaving the office while everyone was feverishly busy to get my nails done. The product of that time was some really horrid looking fingers as I bit the acrylics off and proceeded on to my own nails and cuticles. MAGICALLY when the campaign ended, I realized I had a hint of nails growing back in. Since then, I have been able to avoid them. They actually look great and natural. I'll just have to make sure I keep myself in check when my stress level goes up again.

No comments: