Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gifts and Burdens (a repeat)

This was originally written exactly a year ago on 2/28/07. I'm reposting because a new comment just got submitted to the old site, and I wanted Robert to have a chance to let his memories be heard ;-)

_____________

Today I partook in an ongoing and generally personally unpleasant experience. Yet, it still leaves me feeling good about myself – Donating Blood.

For those familiar with my former donation antics, today was typical. Despite my giving up Diet Dr. Pepper and now consuming mass quantities of water all the time, and my fairly consistent exercise schedule, my veins were hard to find, and half way through,… I became light-headed. The first time this happened, along with today, I found myself wondering if the sudden intense feelings of heat, slight sensation of nausea and fading vision were what it feels like when you’re about to pass out. I’ve never actually passed out, but I have concluded that it is indeed. If you’ve ever passed out and can remember what it felt like, I’d welcome your confirmation or correction of my hypotheis.

I’m growing accustomed to having 4 phlebotomists suddenly at my side, a magically appearing Styrofoam cup of Sprite with a bendy straw slyly inserted between my lips, my foot rest shooting up, my head coming quickly down and droves of volunteers for 30 minutes after that asking if I’m ok or need more to drink. I’m not fond of the attention. Maybe I’d feel better if I witnessed someone else go through this, to know I’m not alone.

Why do I continue to subject myself to this?

Because I feel socially obligated. It’s not comfortable, it’s not fun for me, but knowing that it could help someone on the other end is satisfying enough for me. I possess healthy blood, and in someone else’s tragedy or emergency – it will come in handy.

This did make me think, largely because of preparing an upcoming lesson for young women’s, about other gifts and talents we each have. In large part, I think the personal innate strengths we possess were given us to benefit someone else. It may not be comfortable to share them and giving service can sometimes feel awkward. Gifts can be burdens. But, ultimately, they do no good when we’re selfish with them.

Oh… and as a footnote, perhaps if any of you out there who don’t donate blood could start, the supply would stay at high enough levels that those of us who struggle through it can cut back a little Just a thought…

1 comment:

MBusse said...

(on behalf of Robert)

Melissa, I loved giving blood and can't anymore. I started giving in high school. Somewhere in a drawer I have a nine gallon pin. I loved the orange juice and cookies (especially the maple leaf and windmill shaped ones)...oh yeah, I almost forgot, giving blood helps others too and I feel good about that. About 7 years ago the Red Cross found high levels of an antigen in my blood that is also high in HIV patients. Eight weeks later my blood was good again. Yippee! Eight weeks after that the antigen level was again above the allowable threshold. So I'm on the "banned forever" list. I phoned Red Cross national HQ begging to be able to give again. No dice. Because the antigen level was too high twice that's it. They said that even if the second time the antigen level was high occurred years after the first time I'd still be ineligible to give. Being "disavowed" was one of the biggest disappointments. I miss the cookies (especially the maple leaf and windmill shaped ones) and the orange juice...oh yeah, and helping people by giving blood.
I don't know why the antigen level was high but I suspect it was a supplement I took for a short time that contained bovine products.
During the past 7 years I've accepted my fate but, did I mention the great orange juice and cookies (especially the maple leaf and windmill shaped ones) that I miss?
Have a great day.