Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Breakfast Goodness

In an attempt to build upon the jumpstart of a hectic and very physical State Convention weekend - in moving toward regaining my "pre-campaigning figure", I've returned to my old friend "South Beach Diet" for two weeks.

I actually don't feel very restricted during Phase 1 of South Beach, and I appreciate the addiction-breaking of white flour and sugar. Breakfasts are the only time of day I have a slight challenge.

Aside from eggs, there are not many options on Phase 1. I adapted a recipe I found on a blog, though, and created a new "egg muffin" to keep myself happy in the mornings. By cooking up a batch of these, I not only have a yummy way to start the day, but I can put two in each zip lock baggie, and am covered for the week. No need to break out the skillet every morning!

Step One: Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray

Step Two: Pile in whatever your heart desires into each muffin indentation. Mine contain: chopped turkey bacon, diced tomatoes, a few fresh spinach leaves, a couple black beans and a sprinkle of 2% sharp cheddar cheese.


Step Three: Beat together 1 dozen eggs in a large bowl. Pour a small amount over each muffin mound.

Step Four: Bake at 375 for ~30 min. (until barely noticing browning on the tops)


Step Five: Let cool for 5 min. Use a butter knife to run around all edges before removing.
Step Six: Enjoy! (I ate two upon completion and baggied and refridgerated the remaining 10 for breakfasts through the week).

6 comments:

Melonius said...

Those look good. I've been counting calories for the past few weeks too. I always seem to get a wake up call when I get out my summer clothes...

mle said...

Thanks for the recipe! I need to get back on the diet/exercise bandwagon now that I'm back from vaca. Still have the whole summer left! This is no time for slacking off. And this recipe gives me some motivation to get back to it!!

hillari said...

Those sound awesome! Thanks for sharing, i'll have to give them a try.

David & Vanessa said...

Um....THOSE LOOK DELISHHH!!!! I want some!! Can we get together on a saturday some time?? Desta, you and I.

Globe Trecker said...

Hey, I think I'm going to try those!

Mamma Meg said...

These look Yummy!! Great idea.