Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Craziest Walk Ever


The nearly autumn air of the last couple days has been too much to resist. After a seminary inservice this morning and then grocery shopping, laundry and putting together enchiladas for tomorrow's Branch potluck - I set out for a walk to enjoy the weather.

I didn't have a route planned when I walked out the door, so I began on what was a normal stroll and decided to extend it. I ended up deciding to try to make it to a certain building and back before dark. (Incidentally, after getting home, I checked my route on Google Maps. Holy cow, it was 6 miles!). Anyway... this was new walking ground for me and the first dramatically interesting thing I came upon was this:


When I left my home, I had not anticipated having to decide whether or not to test how aggressive geese could be tonight. Just didn't even cross my mind. I admit, I was stumped for a few minutes. Even if they didn't chase me, I risked scaring them into the road. I ultimately decided to play it safe, take a picture, and then walk FAR outside of the geese occupied area. Crisis averted.

I reached the building I had set as a goal and turned around to head back on the opposite side of the street my outbound trip had been. Within two blocks I came upon this:


I know what you're thinking and the answer is, "No. I didn't find him asleep on my computer table". I actually found him trying to run and scale trees before he followed me for roughly 33 blocks home. At first, I ignored him. But he kept jogging right along side me and meowing when he got behind. I wanted him to just turn around and head home. When it became clear this was not going to happen, I picked him up during the last few blocks that have heavy traffic and brought him home for the night for some food, water and safety. Tomorrow, we'll find out if someone has reported him missing. He's a very cuddly and affectionate little guy. I think it's clear he's been loved. I hope to reunite him with his family asap.

Marilyn agrees. This is where she's been since he came in the door.


1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

Great post! I love that the little guy followed you ALL that way home, unreal. That picture of Marilyn hiding says it all.